Monday, December 19, 2011

Welcome to the World Party

I've always had a picture in my head of what my baby's first day on earth would be like. I imagined flutes of sparkling grape juice, birthday cake, and balloons. I wanted to celebrate with my family and friends who came to visit at the birth center. I sort of assumed this must be a common thing, but apparently it's not. I searched google for inspiration and found that this sort of party isn't very popular.

No matter, I'll figure it out on my own. I imagine platters of finger food for family and friends, a birthday cake for our babies literal "birth day". I see tiny favor boxes for every visitor, filled with candy or some other little gift and wrapped in ribbon. I think of a makeshift video booth where visitors can record messages for mama and baby, and a large canvas where the can write their thoughts and wishes for this little one's life. I imagine balloons and flowers, and the greatly anticipated announcement of the little munchkin's gender and name.

I've even thought of doing a theme, and sending out invitations to close friends and family inviting them to the post-birth party, date and time to be announced! Of course I wouldn't be in charge of all the phone calls and party prep, my best friend and doula would help set up as my husband and I rest and bond with our baby.

Am I alone in this idea? Has anyone else ever seen or thrown a "Welcome to the World" party for their little one at the hospital or birth center? Do you have any other ideas to create a beautiful day and lasting memories?

2 comments:

  1. It didn't even occur to me to try and plan something like this! I had a C-section and it was hard enough having visitors, without having to feed or entertain them. I can't really imagine it- especially if you're in a hospital and don't have a private room!

    Also, I don't think the hospital would have allowed us to have many visitors all at once. My mom, sister, and mother and father in law were the only ones who came to visit us, and they tried to stagger their times so we weren't a burden on the staff and the other women/families (with noise and foot traffic and such).

    I think it's a very cute idea, but I don't think I could manage planning/executing it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also- This blogger had a in hospital welcome party for her daughter:
    http://www.kellehampton.com/2010/01/nella-cordelia-birth-story.html

    The story is very touching because they found out at birth that their daughter had Down Syndrome, making the party somewhat bittersweet as they dealt with all those emotions.

    ReplyDelete