Monday, December 12, 2011

The Search for a Prenatal

Since the Husband and I plan on starting TTC (trying to conceive) very soon, I thought it would be a good idea to get on some prenatal vitamins, among other things. Since half the medicines available here in Albania are from Turkey and expired three months ago, I asked my little sister to bring some from the USA since she's coming here for Christmas.


I've always had problems with pills. My entire childhood and teen years, I was never able to swallow a pill. They just wouldn't go down. Doctors tried to teach me how to take them, but it never worked. I always had to chew them up, and it was a nightmare. You wouldn't believe how bad it is to chew up a Tylenol.
I did recently manage to get some pills down though. I practiced for hours with Tic-Tacs until I figured it out. But I still can't get big pills down, not even the regular sized herb capsules.


So since most prenatal vitamins come in horse pill proportions, I opted for the chewable version - the gummy vitamin! Meet the VitaFusion Prenatal Gummy Vitamins.
Sounds great, right? Well after my little sister dutifully went to Walmart and purchased these for me, packed them in her suitcase, and got on a plane, I found some information about these online.
While they still contain folic acid, which is the main thing I need to be stocking up on right now, they lack one very important component. Iron. Which I most certainly need, having been anemic a few years ago and still not exactly pumped up on iron. So now what?

I've been doing my research, and it appears that this is a common factor in ALL gummy prenatal vitamins. They don't put iron in them because they are afraid children will get in to them, eat them like candy, and get poisoned from too much iron. So now what? I don't want to get an additional supplement, that's just another pill to struggle taking.

While I continue the search for a good, iron-included prenatal, do any of you have input? If you struggle with taking pills too, what did you use during your pregnancy? Did you find a chewable or small prenatal you could use instead that still contained all the necessary components? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment